Monday, March 2, 2009

It's Spring!

And, our Mourning Doves are back! Every year they nest on the window sill outside the sitting room off my bedroom. It's been 4 years now. I don't think it's the same mummy and daddy birds, maybe their offspring? When I first saw them, daddy bird was trying to build a nest right on the sill. As it slopes downward, the nesting material was just falling off to the garden 2 stories below. He kept trying (silly man) and mummy bird, well, what can I say? She was giving him some kind of advice! I got a nesting box that one of my boys had made at Boy Scout camp and after filling it with twigs and grasses, they moved right in. That first year they had 2 babies. There was only one year that they didn't nest here. I really don't know why.
It's -26 C (-15F) with the windchill, but they are back and preparing their nest- a sure sign of spring.

No comments: